Welcome to Mount Pleasant, SC!
Nestled just across Cooper River from Charleston’s vibrant downtown district, Mount Pleasant is a historic town that offers a high quality of life thanks to its scenic setting, relaxed atmosphere, and array of terrific amenities and attractions for all ages.
Encompassing nearly 60 square miles and home to more than 91,000 residents, Mount Pleasant is the largest town and one of the fastest-growing communities in South Carolina. While the town fully embraces Charleston’s relaxed and laidback Lowcountry lifestyle, it has a distinct charm of its own, with its beautiful historic neighborhoods, amazing seafood restaurants, and incredible recreational venues that take full advantage of the town’s picturesque coastal location.
For those looking for one of the finest places to call home in The Palmetto State, Mount Pleasant is hard to top. On this page, we’ll take a closer look at this excellent community, offering a glimpse of the lifestyle, the attractions, the real estate options, and all of the things that make Mount Pleasant an exceptional place to live.
History of Mount Pleasant at a glance
- The very first settlement in Mount Pleasant was Greenwich, a village that encompassed over a hundred acres. It was laid out in 1776 by Jonathan Scott, who platted 50 acres along the waterfront into several English-style town lots. The remaining 50 acres were set aside for use as a common area where residents could gather firewood.
- Mount Pleasant village was laid out by James Hibben, a prominent businessman and state senator who served from 1800 to 1815. In 1803, Hibben purchased the Mount Pleasant Plantation from Jacob Motte and hired John Diamond, who surveyed and platted 35 lots and five streets.
- In 1837, Greenwich merged with the village of Mount Pleasant and was officially incorporated through an act by the South Carolina General Assembly.
- In 1858, Mount Pleasant’s borders were expanded to include Hilliardsville, a nearby village laid out by Oliver Hilliard and Charles Jugnot in 1847. Part of Hilliardsville was an expansive picnic ground with a grove of oaks called Hort’s Grove, which is known today as Alhambra Park.
- After the Civil War ended, many former residents who relocated upstate returned to Mount Pleasant to start their lives once again. Many establishments which closed during the bombardment of Charleston Harbor started to reopen to serve residents.
- Over the last several decades of the 20th century, Mount Pleasant experienced momentous growth and advancement. One key development that spurred major regional development for the town was the construction of Interstate 526, which reduced the travel time from East Cooper to North Charleston and Interstate 26.
- Today, Mount Pleasant’s terrific reputation as a vibrant coastal destination and welcoming, tight-knit community atmosphere continues to attract new residents year after year.
New construction homes in Mount Pleasant, SC
Those in search of new construction homes in Mount Pleasant, SC will be able to find a diverse selection of stylish, top-quality real estate options from many of the finest homebuilders in the region.
New construction homes in Mount Pleasant, SC are built and designed with style, comfort, security, and energy efficiency in mind, offering a relaxing lifestyle for residents. Buyers will be able to choose from a wide assortment of home designs and styles that will fulfill nearly any type of need or preference.
Buying a new construction home in Mount Pleasant, SC makes the life you’ve always envisioned a reality. You can get a home with a modern floor plan offering spacious living areas, smart energy-efficient features, and versatile kitchens that make cooking and entertaining a breeze.
For those looking forward to a laidback waterfront lifestyle, some new construction homes in Mount Pleasant, SC are located near tranquil rivers and scenic South Carolina beaches, allowing you to enjoy a plethora of water activities, delicious fresh seafood fresh off the boat, and the soothing sounds of gentle waves crashing on the shore every morning.
A new construction home places owners in a prime location where they can take full advantage of the pleasant climate and relaxing coastal lifestyle of Mount Pleasant. Many new construction homes are ideally situated minutes away from top-rated schools, scenic parks, vibrant shopping venues, incredible restaurants, and other family-friendly attractions.
Homebuilders in Mount Pleasant
Homebuilders in Mount Pleasant include local production, custom home builders, and national builders.
Mount Pleasant’s local homebuilders are known for their distinctive Lowcountry design approach, which makes them an excellent choice for those looking for a regional flair. For new construction buyers seeking market-friendly pricing and incentives, national builders have a wide variety of options available to suit almost any type of budget.
Most Mount Pleasant homebuilders are partnered with industry leaders who uphold very high standards when it comes to quality. By consistently pushing the boundaries of innovation and ensuring a high level of quality, homebuilders and their partners help make new construction homes in Mount Pleasant, SC a perfect place to create lasting memories.
Why buy a new construction home?
Below are some of the many great advantages you can get when you buy a new construction home instead of a previously owned home:
- Customization.A new construction home can be built according to your own personal specifications. You get to choose the site, floor plan, finishes, and features you want to include, like hardware, light fixtures, appliances, and flooring.
- High standards.Building codes constantly change and are always improving. With new construction, you get a home built to the highest standards and made with top-quality materials.
- Superior warranty.New construction homes come with a warranty that covers their structure, HVAC, electrical, and plumbing systems. This means you won’t need to worry about costly, headache-inducing repairs that are common in resale homes.
- State-of-the-art technology.New construction homes are built with the latest technology and modern construction techniques and materials. Many are designed with water-saving plumbing features and equipped with energy-efficient appliances and HVAC systems, allowing owners to get more savings on energy bills each month.
- Increased safety.New construction homes often come with enhanced built-in safety features like smoke detectors, motion detectors, water sensors, automated door locks, and door and window sensors, creating a safer and more secure living environment for you and your family.
Helpful tips for buying a new construction home in Mount Pleasant, SC
Buying a new construction home offers a lot of benefits including more options for customization, better energy efficiency, and brand new fixtures and appliances that won’t likely require repairs or replacements for years.
Here are several helpful tips to keep in mind when buying new construction in Mount Pleasant, SC:
Gather information on the builder
Before purchasing a new construction home, one of the most crucial steps is to make sure the home builder you’re considering is able to deliver quality products consistently to satisfied clients.
You can check with the South Carolina Contractor’s Licensing Board to find out whether a particular builder is in good standing, and there are no pending disciplinary actions or judgments against them.
Searching online for any reviews left by former customers can also be helpful.
Take a close look at the benefits and disadvantages
There are several options when it comes to purchasing a new construction home:
- Semi-custom homes that are built as part of a development
- Homes that are already built on spec
- Custom homes that are built and designed entirely according to your specifications
Before you get caught up in the excitement of choosing color palettes and selecting finishes, it’s essential to evaluate your current situation and see whether a new construction will bring more benefits or disadvantages. Below are some important questions to ask yourself:
- Will commuting be an issue in case the new construction home you’re buying is located far from the city center?
- How much do you prioritize privacy in case homes in the development are built close to each other?
- Will you mind the cookie-cutter nature that most new developments seem to have?
Consider the timing
Apart from the expenses, another key factor you’ll need to consider when deciding on customization options is the timing. In general, the timeline for building a new construction home can be quite unpredictable due to factors like delays, weather, and logistics issues.
Depending on the size and design, a new construction home can take from around five to seven months, although it’s not unlikely for a project to take almost an entire year to complete in case of major delays.
When you’re choosing a build option, be sure to take your current living situation into consideration. Your choice should offer flexibility that allows for a lengthy (and possibly unpredictable) lead time. Otherwise, a built-on-spec or a semi-custom home could be a better option.
Living in Mount Pleasant, SC
A new construction home in Mount Pleasant, SC puts you in a prime location minutes away from many of the town’s best attractions and destinations. Whether you’re looking forward to indulging in a delicious meal, an entire day of shopping, or exploring the great outdoors, Mount Pleasant’s plethora of activities and places to visit will surely delight.
Although downtown Charleston may feature many of the newest and hottest restaurants, Mount Pleasant has its fair share of hidden gems that can satisfy any type of craving.
Here’s a small sampling of the amazing dining venues you can find around town:
1035 Johnnie Dodds Blvd B9, Mt Pleasant, SC 29464
A beloved staple of Mount Pleasant’s dining scene, Kanpai delights diners with creative Asian fusion cuisine masterfully crafted by Korean-born executive chef Sean Park.
Indulge in a variety of fanciful dishes including lobster green tea soba noodle tempura, delicious seafood rolls topped with aioli and wasabi, and ceviche martinis made of scallops, whitefish, pear, mango, and mint yuzu vinaigrette.
1055 SC-41, Mt. Pleasant, SC 29466
Enjoy delicious food and exciting games at The Basement, a local dive bar owned and operated by top restaurateur and executive chef Brannon Florie.
The Basement definitely has high-caliber bar food down to a T with their flavor-packed smash burgers, Buffalo wings, and soft pretzels, all of which pair nicely with their daily drink specials.
320 Wingo Way Suite 100, Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464
Opened in 2017, Grace & Grits is a chef-owned and driven restaurant by chef Frank Kline, known for his signature Lowcountry-style cuisine.
This top-rated restaurant uses fresh, locally sourced seafood and produce for their creative and flavorful southern dishes. Highlight dishes include the sweet tea-brined pork chop, fried local shrimp platter, stewed local Bradford okra and tomatoes, and their famous “grit flight,” made from a variety of sweet and savory grits.
Mount Pleasant’s shopping venues are inspired by the town’s coastal lifestyle, combining a sophisticated yet casual atmosphere with a laidback southern charm.
You’ll be able to find a colorful mix of local boutiques, antique stores, and sprawling shopping centers featuring national retailers, specialty shops, and restaurants.
Be sure to visit some of Mount Pleasant’s top shopping destinations such as:
- Mount Pleasant Towne Centre
- Belle Hall Shopping Centre
- The Market at Oakland
- Wando Crossing
- The Shoppes at Seaside Farm
Whether you’re in the mood for a scenic hike, exciting activities on the water, or just relaxing while soaking in picture-perfect views, Mount Pleasant offers many incredible outdoor destinations for residents of all ages.
These are just some of the many great spots to visit if you’re looking forward to spending time outdoors in Mount Pleasant:
1235 Long Point Rd, Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464
Open since 1956, Boone Hall Plantation & Gardens is a picturesque 740-acre property that serves as the site for many Mount Pleasant community events including the Annual Oyster Festival and Halloween Fright Nights.
Visitors can also join a variety of tours from Mondays through Saturdays, 9am to 5pm.
Located within the Mount Pleasant Waterfront Park, Mount Pleasant Pier is a 1,250-foot-long pier that features gift shops, food vendors, playgrounds, fishing spots, and an 8,100-square-foot pavilion that hosts special events throughout the year.
Palmetto Islands County Park features a lush tropical landscape set along Mount Pleasant’s tranquil wetlands and waterways.
Visitors can enjoy a scenic journey navigating the park’s boardwalks and paved bike paths or enjoy a fun picnic at one of the many picnic sites equipped with grills throughout the park.
Work with the top Realtors in Mount Pleasant, SC
Ready to begin your search for the finest new construction homes in Mount Pleasant, SC? At ChuckTown Homes Real Estate, we’re ready to go above and beyond to make sure the entire process is seamless and stress-free from site prep to final walk-through.
Over the years, the ChuckTown Homes team has fulfilled the real estate goals of countless satisfied clients through our unparalleled experienced, in-depth local expertise, tried-and-tested team approach, and the best and most complete marketing strategy in the area.
By working with ChuckTown Homes Real Estate, you get a team of dedicated agents who will take all of your unique needs into account and make sure you get the best results possible.